US Citizens Working in Japan are REQUIRED to file a US Income Tax Return Every Year!

  • US citizens and green card holders living in Japan have an automatic extension to file their tax returns by June 15.
  • However, if you owe taxes, payments are still due by April 15. You will be charged interest if you pay after April 15 
  • If you cannot file by June 15, you can apply for an automatic extension to file by October 15

I'm David Lewis. I have been helping US residents in Japan with their US tax preparations and problems since 1987.


  • Please e-mail me with any questions regarding your tax return or for a free estimate.
  • I also will take a look at your prior year's tax return for free.
  • For more information, click on the specific links below.
Who is David Lewis? - My profile and credentials as a CPA.
Tax FAQs - Frequently asked questions by U.S. citizens residing in Japan concerning their U.S. taxes.
Newsletter - Read or download my latest newsletter.
What is the Process? - An explanation of the tax preparation process.
The US Social Security and Japanese National Pension Totalization Agreement - This important agreement could affect your retirement in a positive way!
Tax Organizer - This tax organizer is designed to help you collect and report the information needed to prepare your U.S. income tax return.
Do you need an extension? - Print the file and follow instructions. If you think you will owe some tax, include your payment with the form. Be sure to check box 8 if applicable. If you have any questions, please contact me.
Non Filers Corner - If you have been working in Japan and have not yet filed your US tax returns, READ THIS NOW!
Contact Information - My e-mail, street address and phone number.
Client Feedback - What my clients say about my services.
Links - Links you may find useful or of interest.
Last updated: February 18th, 2019